Home > MythTV > Slow MythTV Deletes (Solved!)

Slow MythTV Deletes (Solved!)

November 10th, 2008 Leave a comment Go to comments

Less than an hour after I post my latest progress as “Doesn’t make much difference”, I’ve managed to fix the problem (Well, it works for me at least).

The secret was written in a post that I linked to in my very first post about this problem. I can’t believe that I didn’t pay it any attention before.

Basically, all you need to do is to run “mythfilldatabase” without any parameters. As well as retrieving new data, it resets the database.

Now this, actually, makes sense to me. I guess the reason that I never encountered this before is that I always used to use the Radio Times grabber for downloading my programme listings, however the other year I switched to EPG (electronic programme guide). That means that I don’t run mythfilldatabase on a regular schedule.

And therefore, that means that I’m not downloading data, and cleansing the database, as much as I should be! I seem to remember something about a few thousand items being marked for something, as it scrolled up the screen. I subsequently ran it again just to check, and this time it showed zero for all items.

I since tested it, and I was able to delete around 10 different programmes, and still didn’t receive any lag in deletions. That’s going to way in around the 15 to 20GB range. That’s pretty damn good, if you ask me.

All I need to make sure is that mythfilldatabase didn’t cock anything up, and then somehow schedule it to run frequently. More than once a year I guess would be a bonus….

Categories: MythTV Tags: ,
  1. December 7th, 2008 at 15:42 | #1

    Thanks for sharing your results with the world, I think you’ve saved me a few days of work (I have nearly a terrabyte of recordings, so defragmenting those would be a pain… especially with zero results). I also switched to EPG a while back, and this mythfilldatabase trick seems to work!

    Thanks again,

    Benjie.

  1. No trackbacks yet.